Monday, April 14, 2008

Is it a “Conversation” if we only laugh?

Need a laugh today?
I’ve set a goal to start a conversation with at least one new person everyday. Realizing that goal requires me to leave the house, I headed to our Health Club at 7:00pm tonight.

I thought I could hit two birds with one stone (that is a terrible analogy coming from someone who has had a cockatiel pet for over 20 years)! So I headed to the lap pool for my hour swim hoping to meet and make a new girlfriend between laps.

Sad to say – for the first 40 minutes, the swimmers on each side of me were those professional types. Perfect swim strokes, very serious and really working up a sweat.


I always swim for at least one hour and love every minute of it. If I would describe my style, “I look much like Carp Fish during Mating Season! I splash around a lot and don’t look to intelligent!”

I was pleasantly surprised when a non-swimmer arrived during my final 20 minutes. She was a beautiful middle aged women and I was sure she could be my goal for the day. I just needed to have a conversation with a stranger, shower and go home a success for the day. Simple right?

So I waited for the perfect moment and I said, “I love your swim suit!”
She looked totally confused and said, “I – No- English!”


Not wanting to miss my "conversation" goal…..I continued, “French? Italian? German?”
Again she looked totally confused at me but replied, “I-Russian!”


So I could really say I had a conversation, I decided to overlook the fact that she spoke not one word of English. I just starting to say crazy things like, “Welcome to America, enjoy swimming, great to meet you………..”
She started laughing and saying things back to me in her language. I can only hope they were good things like, “I like your swim suit too.” or “I noticed you are such a great swimmer (tee-hee).”
Either way, we shared 3-4 minutes of total laughter and I know she won’t forget me! I say that, because we met in the Steam Room later and she started giggling again.

Your vote!
Can I count her as a real contact for my goal today? Would you consider that a real conversation? Or does this sound like a desperate act to cover-up a goal I missed (tee-hee)?

3 comments:

Front Porch Society said...

I think you just made her day! :) You may have been the first person who treated her as a real human being despite the language barrier. Too often those living here do not treat those from another country with much dignity and respect - I have seen that firsthand and it is really sad. You may not have had a conversation where both understood what was said but a conversation of love was shared, nonetheless! :)

Sheri said...

That's hilarious mom! I can picture it... and I think you did meet your goal. As you've taught me in the past, we don't have to use words to touch someones life!

sandy said...

I vote, "YES"




It's what makes a house a HOME!

It's what makes a house a HOME!

We are in each others LIFE for a reason!

We are in each others LIFE for a reason!




Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2015 • All Rights Reserved